0.1.0 General Purpose Astronomical Database
Libncat is a general purpose astronomical database designed to give very fast access to CDS catalog data. Libncat is designed to be independent of any underlying catalog data formatting and will import most data records providing the catalog ships with a "ReadMe" file that follows the CDS formatting specifications. Libncat provides a simple database backend and exposes a C API for catalog access.
The intended audience of libncat is C / C++ programmers, astronomers and anyone working with large astronomical catalogs.
Libncat will be the database backend used by the Nova and GCX projects and most importantly, is free software.
The current (CVS) version of libncat supports:-
Planned features for version 0.2 include:-
- Parsing of important fields in CDS ReadMe files
- Downloading catalog data from CDS to a local library
- Importing selected catalog object data and object fields into machine formats.
- Fast access to catalog data based on :-
- position and magnitude
- hashed object ID's
- distance (near sky catalogs)
- Powerful catalog searching on any combinations of fields.
API documentation for libncat is included in the source. It can also be found in this website and an offline tarball is available here.
The latest release is 0.1 and is available here.
The latest CVS version of libncat is available via CVS here.
libncat is released under the GNU LGPL.
libncat is maintained by Liam Girdwood and Radu Corlan.
Thanks to Sourceforge for hosting this project.
- Support for large CDS binary catalogs.
- Support for other binary formats.
- Progress feedback.
- Memory management.
Generated on Tue Jul 5 14:34:14 2005 for libncat by